Saturday, May 28, 2005

My last day

As usual, no alarm

At 5, as I had expected, my watch alarm failed to go off. But thanks to my neurotic, sleepless nature, I was awake.

I got ready in about 20 minutes and hauled my 2 incredibly heavy suitcases downstairs to wait for the colectivo, which was supposed to arrive between 5:45 and 6.

At 5:55, a taxi pulled up down the other side of the street. I looked out there and waved. They honked but didn't move closer. I was beyone irritated. I schlepped my big bag down there, only to find that it wasn't a taxi dropping someone else off. So I dragged the thing back.

Then the colectivo arrived and parked a block away the other direction. So I had to drag all that stuff down the other way with the wheels clattering across the rough street...a good workout.

Anyway, all is well and I am waiting for the plane to LA in an airport that doesn't seem to have air conditioning.

I will miss Oaxaca and all the warmth and beauty I found there. I especially liked getting out of town to some of the smaller villages. I loved the markets and all the tiny businesses, especially the food booths.

But I will also be glad to get back to my home. So many things seem so crazy and difficult in Mexico, as well as dirty, noisy and dangerous, but no one seems to mind or get irritated. People are just so patient and have such a good sense of humor. I have that old Yankee need to fix things.

But I hope to be able to return. The people are what make Mexico so special. Their spirit and warmth shines through everything.

Yes, I want to come back. Ojala que si.


Some of the wonderful people in Oaxaca, having a good time

1 Comments:

Blogger los recuerdos del porvenir said...

Fantastic blog!

Thanks for visit Oaxaca!

11:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home