Saturday, May 28, 2005

Casa Rodriguez

Home at last
The Rodriguez house is on a tightly packed, narrow street with orange and grapefruit street trees. All of the houses are built right up next to one another, mostly without front yards or just tiny patches behind wrought-iron bars.

It appears to be pretty large and nice, though I have never seen another Mexican home, so I really don't have anything to compare it with.

It is two-story. It has a small courtyard entry, a living room, den, dining room, kitchen and maybe 4 bedrooms upstairs. There is another renter here but she is on vacation in Puerto Escondido.

Now I am installed at Casa Los Rodriguez, and they are out at another fiesta. Gloria says they are "fiestoso" which I guess means partyers.


The house

My room
I have my own room on the second floor with a double bed. It has a view of the street. The house across the street is painted bright yellow and orange. That is something you just don't see in Thousand Oaks. I'll bet there isn't a single yellow-and-orange house within TO city limits.

I am kind of settling in and relaxing a little, unpacking my stuff. It is pretty warm upstairs but my room has a ceiling fan.

I can hear amplified talking from some sporting event or festival and quite frequent loud booms of big firecrackers being set off, the kind that my friends used to go to Tiajuana to buy and bring back to the states.

Across the street, two dogs live on the roof. A big yellow shaggy mutt and a cocker spaniel. They walk around wagging their tails a lot and seem to be quite flea-ridden, because they are always scratching.

I have seen a ton of skinny loose dogs running in the streets since I got here and it has only been a couple hours.


The view from my window

A different world
It is really a different world, to quote an old cliche. It seems way less organized and efficient, but very lively and colorful and fun.

Man, the fireworks keep going on and on. And the William Tell Overture has been playing over and over for 2 hours. Que loco!

I, sheerly by accident, happen to have arrived on the day before La Guelaguetza, the biggest cultural festival here in Oaxaca.

The different Indian groups from around the state (the state name is also Oaxaca) all come to town to perform their dances in beautiful costumes, and thousands of tourists come to see it.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,
Your narrative is so reflective of the "real" Oaxaca. It truly takes me back there, where I spent 3 weeks in summer 2005. I wish I were going back this summer! I met you (somewhere) and you gave me this blog site address. I don't have a web page.

6:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home