Saturday, May 28, 2005

Fun and games in school


Erica, Luis, Me & Luz

Fun and games at school

Today in school, time went by a little more rapidly than usual because we took part of the morning off to play games. We had to give the other students the instructions in Spanish. All 15 or so of us were out on the patio together, and there was a nice feeling of solidarity, with all of us speaking bad Spanish, together.

One of the games was "Telefono Descompuesto" which means "Broken Telephone", the Mexican version of our "Telephone" where you whisper a phrase in someone's ear and they pass it along.

Then the mothers of the houses where the students stay (but not Gloria) brought some food they had made. Tostadas with black beans, crumbly white cheese, cactus salad, shredded chicken.

I ate a little, but I was very eager to go out and try a vegetarian place I had heard about.I went out and got the international Miami Herald (I was under the mistaken assumption that I was buying the International Herald News - oops -- not quite the same thing) in English and took the long hike over there for a nice relaxing lunch.

The food wasn't very good, or hot, unfortunately. I wish it had been better, because I do like to try and stay vegetarian as much as possible.

Lost!
On the way back to school. I got very lost. All of the streets do look very similar.

But then, even crazier, they change names, sometimes every few blocks. I got to class 20 minutes late - poor Luis - he was terribly sick with a cold and I was his only student.

He is great, though. He has a wonderful accent that sounds like water burbling across rocks. He is about a foot shorter than me, slender, wears a lot of soccer-themed clothing.

He has lots of tricks up his sleeve - little games and pictures that we make stories from. It, to me, is more fun and enjoyable than Sra. Luz's classes, where we go around and make up sentences using different verb forms. She is a good teacher, but I appreciate all the effort Luis puts in to making it fun.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home