Saturday, May 28, 2005

July 24, Saturday - My first Oaxaca weekend

9 p.m.
A long day, but fun, all by myself as usual. I wish I was traveling with Greg. I really do feel rather lonely.

It was a beautiful day for taking in the sights, warm and with a blue sky with big white clouds in the afternoon.

I walked downtown about 11 a.m. and had coffee and a roll at the cutest little bakery/cafe, with tables under vines climbing up the walls and little arched doorways and skylights. It felt like being outside, but it was inside.

The front part is a bakery, and you walk around with a metal tray and a pair of tongs, making your selection, then pay at a counter where they transfer your goods to a bag for to go orders or a little napkin-lined basket to eat there.

I get lost...over and over
The problem in Oaxaca is that, since the streets all look alike to me and change names every few blocks, I have no idea where the bakery was and may never be able to find my way back to it again. Too bad, because it was cheap, friendly and good.

If I can find the Zocalo or Santo Domingo, I can usually find a few other things like school or Parque El Llano, where the Mezcal Faire is.


Oaxaca Street Corner

I am taking a tour of Monte Alban tomorrow and am quite unsure of my ability to find the place where I am to meet my bus, though I bought my ticket there today. I will go early in case I get lost.

I am not being stupid. Everyone gets lost here. I have an excellent sense of direction, but things really do all look the same.

A Gourmet Lunch
I had lunch at the local version of a gourmet place. It looked quite upscale and was decorated like somewhere in Santa Monica, with sharp angles and recessed lighting and muted spruce green and terra cotta colors.

I went there because I was desperately hungry for fresh veggies, which are an unfamiliar concept to most people here, it seems. Perhaps it is because everything fresh must be washed in bottled water and disinfected, so it is quite a pain to prepare. Even salads with fresh lettuce have a pile of cooked broccoli and carrots on them.

I got a big fresh mercifully raw salad and a bowl of "tagliatelle al limone" which was mushy, overcooked pasta. The term "al dente" hasn’t reached here, apparently.

It was all ok, nothing to write home about, but very exotic and fancy, not at all traditional Oaxacan food.

I drank a glass of wine with lunch and was hot for hours - I think the altitude increases the effect of alcohol, so I have to watch it.


Pre-La Guelaguetza parade

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home