Saturday, May 28, 2005

July 22, Thursday - Things get better

7:35 pm
Today was much better. I quit freaking out quite so much. Everything seemed a little more manageable for some reason. It was sunny, for one thing.

I go down for breakfast - "almuerzo" in Spanish - and Sra. Gloria has left a plate of fruit (melon and bananas), two dry pieces of toast, and a cup of coffee flavored with cinnamon and mixed with milk, covered with a coaster so it will stay warm. There is a note that says "My desire is that the day go well for you. I am going out to run. We will see each other later." She is really a wonderful person and hostess.

Besides being nice, she is a pretty and fit grandmother. She runs 45 minutes every day at a track near here.

I don't usually see Alexis, the chica in the other room, but when I do, she either seems very sleepy or reluctant to talk. Not shy, because she yaks on the phone all the time and goes out with friends, but she just doesn't want to talk to ME. Dunno why, and it is kind of annoying, because I would love some company and someone to speak a little English with.

I am amazed that anything gets done here. Everything seems so patched together and/or messed up . But the people seem to be very hardworking and have a ton of tiny shops and factories, no chain stores to speak of.

But here is an example: on Calle Gonzales, there is a big pothole filled with chunks of BRICKS. Bricks! I mean, bricks to fill up a pothole, but they wouldn't be on my top ten list of filler material choices.

And I walked by a place where a PVC conduit had been buried about 2 inches underground. The PVC had broken and become exposed, and there were all these electric wires across the sidewalk. You gotta try a little harder than that to bury electrical conduit.


Dancers in a parade before La Guelaguetza

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home