Saturday, May 28, 2005

Too much luggage

I am only writing about this because it is so different than every airport scene I have ever encountered, with shuffling masses proceeding calmly as cows to pasture.

The Aeromexico terminal is a zoo. Lots of noise, people calling out to one another, people being joyful and sad, hanging onto each other, smiling, crying.

It appears that people flying to Mexico from Los Angeles have a lot of luggage. A lot. I saw bags that were larger than a car trunk.

Did I say A LOT? Most people were taking huge boxes of electronics with them - DVD players, boom boxes, TVs.

There were large cardboard boxes wrapped in tape, labeled "fragile" that the baggage screeners, of course, let crash to the floor. Huge suitcases the likes of which I have never seen before, more like the size of old-fashioned trunks (but larger) than modern valises.

Me, I have my big purse and a large gym bag. I am just hoping against hope that the zipper of the cheap gym bag holds together without bursting. I jammed a lot of stuff in there, books especially, and it was looking pretty strained and wimpy and coming-apart-at-the-seams.

It probably weighs 50 lbs, with all the Spanish books I brought - "501 Spanish Verbs Fully Conjugated", "2001 Modismos en Espanol," and a fat dictionary.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home