Saturday, May 28, 2005

July 30 - feeling woozy

10 pm
I feel kind of icky. As if I might be on the verge of throwing up or I might not. Well, if I am going to get sick, let it be tonight so I don't miss classes tomorrow.

It is hot. Hotter than it has been, especially up here on the second floor in my room. I wish it would rain a little. I have a ceiling fan but it just makes it tolerable.

I had lunch today at Cafe La Olla, which I have heard much about. Very popular with the gringo expatriates.

I had a cold cream of avocado soup with little lumps of creme fraiche in it. I also had a bowl of fairly tasteless spaghetti with tomatoes and herbs. As usual, the spaghetti was boiled to almost mush.

Will someone please tell these people how to cook a decent marinara sauce??

I had my new favorite drink, a limonada (fizzy limeade). It would be ironic if that fancy $10 lunch was what was making me feel ill.

I have eaten all manner of things since I got here and liked most of them.

One thing I have not tried is chapulines, which Oaxaca is famous for. Yes, people here eat tiny grasshoppers, fried with chile and lime. They are mostly a snack. The little ones are only about 3/8" long. You can barely tell what they are, they are so small. Only the tiny legs give them away. Women sell them from trays as they walk around the mercados. They have a little bowl they measure them out with into small plastic bags.

The correct word for good food here is "Rico" which, despite its sound does not mean "rich" but "delicious." Other things can be rico as well. The other day at Zaachila when I put my umbrella over Ruth, she said "Que rico" about the shade it provided.


Union hall up the street from school

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home