Saturday, May 28, 2005

Aug 2 - My last Monday

Only 6 more days left here.

Our house will be full if Alexis' mother ever arrives. She will share a room with Alexis.

She was supposed to arrive yesterday on the 11 a.m. autobus from Mexico DF but never showed up. Alexis waited at the bus terminal for 8 hours but her mom never came, and our phones are still out at the house, so who knows if she was trying to call.

I spent the evening with Norman, who is an aging hippie.

He was in Berkeley in the 60s, was a forester for 20 years and is now a school counselor. The man sure loves to talk. He goes off on long, convoluted tangents which are impossible to follow after a while. I already know way too much about him.

Is it time to go home yet?
If you had asked me at about 6 p.m. whether I wanted to be on the next plane to Los Angeles, I would have said yes.

I had had an enervating time at Cafe La Antigua, my after-school hangout. I was sitting outside on the patio trying to study and read, and there was a dog somewhere on the premises barking and barking. Finally, after about 45 minutes, I asked the waiter what was up with the dog.

He replied, in Spanish, "He is very unquiet." Ok then. THAT explains it. The dog kept barking and barking. No one ever shut him up.

Then the firecrackers started. There was a saint's day fiesta and a parade for governor-possibly-elect Ulises (the election is still in dispute) so I don't know why someone was setting off HUGE firecrackers downtown, but they happened about once a minute for an hour. Every time it made me jump like it was the first time. I was getting beyond irritated.

Then there were men. I guess girl-watching is a national obsession. I have men look at me, make noise at me, whistle, honk and suck their teeth at me all day long. Some days I just feel like clobbering them with my cheap plastic umbrella!

So on the walk home, I was ready to head for the airport instead. I wanted to come home and call Greg, but of course the phones still don't work.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home