Saturday, May 28, 2005

July 30 - a party!

7:20 a.m.
Some people at school were throwing a fiesta last night.

When I walked Mari home the other day, she showed me where the house was. I thought I was clear on where it was, but I ended up wandering the streets for about 45 minutes last night in my party clothes - a long red ruffly skirt and a gleaming white embroidered top - looking for the place.

I ended up in some fairly bad neighborhoods too. Everyone regarded me curiously but left me alone.Another case of my bad memory combined with all things here looking alike to me....

And I ended up finding it by accident - I was going to walk by when Meghan, another student, walked out to smoke a cigarette and bumped into me.

The party was pretty laid-back. About 7 or 8 students and Ruth, the lady whose house it was, her daughter, son, and their friends.

We sat around drinking Donajis, which are a cocktail of mezcal (what else?), orange juice and grenadine. We went up on the roof for a while to escape the heat, until the lightning, thunder and rain began in earnest, then we headed back inside.

We spoke only Spanish, which is the rule in Ruth's house. If you speak English, you get fined one peso. She rents rooms to 5 or 6 students at a time.

I walked home about 10 pm, feeling very alone and foolish for walking in the dark, a little tipsy - but I thought of all the Model Mugging classes I had taken, and knew that all around me were families having dinner in their houses, so I could yell and have an instant crowd. Still, it was very dark and still damp.

I was wearing my newest shoes, which, like the other new shoes, turned out to shred my feet. I had bloody patches on the sides of both feet. I will be the queen of bandaids.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home